Simon Beckett - The Chemistry of Death

Category:

Finding refuge in a quiet rural backwater, Dr David Hunter hoped he might at last have put the past behind him. But then they found what was left of Sally Palmer…
It isn’t just that she was a friend that disturbs him. Once he’d been a high-profile forensic anthropologist and all too familiar with the many faces of death, before tragedy made him abandon this previous life. Now the police want his help. But to become involved will stir up memories he’s long tried to forget. Then a second woman disappears, plunging the close-knit community into a maelstrom of fear and paranoia. And no one, not even Hunter, is exempt from suspicion.

-------------------------------------------------------------- 

This book took me a while to get in to. I think it was the style of writing, more so than the characters because I'm finding the same problem with his second book ~ Written in Bone. But once I got used to it, it became an easier read. 

As you might have seen from previous posts, I do love a good thriller. 

The way I tend to judge if it's good or not is like this: if I can guess "who did it" within the first half of the book - then it's not good. I want to spend as much of the book guessing, and second-guessing my choice of baddy. I want to try and piece all of the clues together without it being too obvious. I want to keep up the pretense of being a world-renowned Detective, at the top of my game Smiley

This book gave me all of that! This man can write a really good thriller. I had no idea until nearly the end - and even then I wasn't really sure - who was responsible for the demise of some of the women in Manham.

I also love that it is very obvious that a heap of research has gone into this book. The detail given to certain deteriorations (if you've read this you will know EXACTLY what I'm talking about) is very involved and seems to be very factual. Of course I really only have Gil Grisham to go by on this though.

I would recommend it - and can't wait to finish the next one.

Keep up the great work Mr Beckett.
Photobucket

Comment (1)

New follower from the blog hop!